I had already cleaned my stove’s original burner heads as best I could; scraped all the openings to remove debris and scraped inside the donut space as best as I could with a coat hanger wire. But when in use, the flames seemed a little less than full on one burner head. I had plans to eventually buy restored heads or get mine re-enameled, in hopes that the replacements would be cleaner thus produce better flames.
Through the process of purchasing scrap ovens for parts I began to notice differences in the burner heads; single row vs double rows. My stove came with the double row heads. One of the scrap stoves had burner heads in better shape (enamel-wise) but they had a single row of openings. Things that make you go “Hmmmm”.
I had concerns that the design difference was so critical, that switching to a different head design would be detrimental. But it was silly to assume when it would so easy to test that theory. So I replaced one double row and a single row burner and lit it up.
I was half right. 🙂 The difference was critical. But it wasn’t detrimental, there was such a dramatic improvement! Instead of ½ to ¾ of the holes lighting up right away, the entire burner lit up instantly, all the flames were big and even. Sweet! I am assuming the overall gas pressure to my house is such that the single row burners are optimal for a proper flame profile. Or could be the burners that were originally installed on my stove were a little too clogged to perform as well as they should.
Needless to say, I swapped out all the double row burner heads for single row ones.